Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chocolate Mousse for our Chocolate Cake....


That is what Jack-Jack and I have been saying all week. "Chocolate mousse for our chocolate cake." But, you have to say it with an English accent. I don't know why, you just do.
I'm so obsessed with my chocolate cake recipe(below) that I've decided to make some chocolate mousse to go in the middle of it. And can I say, hello heaven. Talk about divine, it does not get any better then this.
This is how obsessed I am with my chocolate cake that I can't stop thinking of things to go in the middle or on top of it. Strawberry cream filling, topped with strawberries. Raspberry cream filling, topped with raspberries. coconut cream filling topped with roasted coconut. Orange cream filling topped with orange zest. The possibilities are endless.
I've decided that when I open up my Bed and Breakfast/restaurant my dessert will be based off of this one chocolate cake.
Here is the Chocolate mousse recipe to go with the chocolate cake.

  • 2 cups chilled heavy cream
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped

  • Garnish: lightly sweetened whipped cream
  • Special equipment: an instant-read thermometer

preparation

Heat 3/4 cup cream in a 1-quart heavy saucepan until hot. Whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined well, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Transfer mixture to saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until it registers 160°F on thermometer. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and stir in vanilla.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in a glass bowl in a microwave at 50 percent power 3 to 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Whisk custard into chocolate until smooth, then cool.

Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Whisk one fourth of cream into chocolate custard to lighten, then fold in remaining cream gently but thoroughly.

Spoon mousse into 8 (6-ounce) stemmed glasses or ramekins and chill, covered, at least 6 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.

Cooks' notes:• Mousse can be chilled up to 1 day.



2 comments:

Allison said...

omigoodness.

Angie said...

Bless you for posting this.